The Fo'c'stle is a picture book 17th century Grade II listed double fronted granite cottage, centrally located in Hugh Town, with harbour views from all windows, fully modernised while retaining all of its original charm. It is opposite the Atlantic slipway leading onto
The cottage couldn't be in a more convenient location in Hugh Town. It is close to the quay, restaurants, pubs, bank, shops, tourist office etc. It has the added advantage of being opposite the slipwa… More
“Ideal place to stay”
Reviewed 1 May 2012
The Fo'c'stle is the ideal place to stay if you want to be in the midst of everything. It is a stone's throw from eating places and shops. All of the eating places serve wonderful food at a reasonable… More
Reviewed 30 Apr 2012
We stayed at the Focsle for our honeymoon - and it was terrific. The location is super-central and within a stone's throw of the boats to the other islands. We were thankful for the electric heaters s… More
Newfort House is refurbished to a luxury high standard, an original granite Scillonian Cottage, offering a 2 bedroom self catering apartment set on the bay of Hugh Town in Porthloo on St Mary's, the main Island of The Isles of Scilly. It features a spacious south facing
My first trip to the Isles of Scilly and it did not disappoint. The place is wonderful and full of adventures to be had. Finding the accommodation of Newfort House on the edge of a picturesque corne… More
Thank you Adrian, we are pleased you enjoyed your visit and we look forward to seeing you again soon
We have been welcoming guests to our comfortable self catering holiday accommodation since July 2000. As proprietors, we live on the premises and are fully committed to ensuring that our guests are as comfortable and happy as possible. We would like you to feel that Gla
Sadly due to the sudden death of Liz, the partner's wife of 53 years, this lovely apartment will be serviced by an agency rather than by the owner. The contents and attention to detail will remain the same as near as possible.
We are pleased to say that this property i
Beautifully decorated and comfortably furnished apartment with breathtaking views of the harbour and the off-island of Samson. The owners cannot do enough to make a stay as good and as stress-free a… More
Dear Sandra, I don't know how I missed your kind comments,please blame it on the fact that the whole Trip Advisor was a new site for me. As you know we always look forward to your visit every year. Best wishes Colin
“I wonder why there is only one review?”
Reviewed 10 May 2013
Clean but basic.
Carpet in the kitchen and bathroom is a definite no no!! so unhygienic!!!
Sorry to say not enough crockery, or cutlery.So while we wanted to save water we couldn't as we had to wa… More
In our advert we have tried to show that the apartment is fairly compact & set out for 2 people. The photos, I think, give that impression.
• The carpets in the Bathroom and Kitchen are designed for the use because for the ease of cleaning (by intense wet cleaning if required). The manufacturer claims that they are hygienic – rot proof and certified resistant to microbial attack. It was sad that the guest failed to notice that there was a freshly laundered bathmat & toilet mat which covered most of the floor, and is changed weekly.
• We put out crockery and cutlery for the average couple, but we do say that if anything else is required, please ask we have a store of such items not more than 30 yards from the property, so could have been supplied almost at once.
• Saving water is an Island obsession and we are all doing our best, as to whether a dishwasher for 2 people is the answer, is a debating point. Most machines seem to hold 8 settings at least. Does this mean that we should put enough cutlery, plate, pots & pans etc. for the few, to be fair, who wish to store up for one wash now and again?
• The comment regarding the freezer compartment is a fair one and has been under discussion for a while, but all I can say is that up to now, most people do very little cooking and we have tended to cater for the majority.
• Ants? Not much I can say on this one, the flowers are kept in a cool-room until they are put into the rooms, but all over the world there are insects of varying kinds and sprays and powders are frowned upon.
• One of the problems of letting, as anyone in the business would say, is damage done, all be it by accident which can be done to furnishings whether old or brand new. The leather chairs that are referred to are about 4 years old and were as good as they day they were bought until we let to a couple who had some major health problems. The medication that the gentleman had to use on his skin caused a reaction with the material of the chair; the top layer of the leather seemed to peel off where his hands rubbed on it. Now I appreciate that this is of no interest to visitors but the covers that we had made to measure was the best we could do until replacement time comes.
As a matter of interest the lounge carpet that had a quantity of red wine spilled on it on the night before departure by another guest, this cost us a new carpet, and while there was an offer to put right the damage the replacement cost £1500. Needless to say we stood that. I accept that the suggestion about sofas versus individual recliner chairs is an interesting subject for debate. I prefer a chair myself.
• We were very excited that the towelling got a plus as they are also 4 years old and are washed and dried, in the open air not machine dried, by my wife, who in her former life was Sister in Charge at our hospital and has an old style matronly approach to such things and not least of all cleanliness.
My final comment is on directions to the property, it was very sad that the plan to fly from Exeter was spoiled by the weather and you had to travel via Penzance and sail on the Islands ship. We tried to contact you on the ship, but your mobile was not working, to tell you that transport would be on the quay to meet you, but as it was you decided to walk to the apartment and when you phoned to ask the way, my wife gave you directions and I was at the gate to meet you and so I am not sure what more we could have done.
As to the question “I wonder why there is only one review”, we have had many, many very happy visitors stay with us over the years, and some come twice a year and guard their chance to come by not telling the story in case their dates become booked. We only joined Holiday Lettings last year 2012. We are sorry that we didn’t do it for you, but we will go on doing our very best for future guests, as we have done for over 50 years, after all we want everyone who comes to us to have the best that we can offer. CP & EC Ridsdale.
Avoca holiday homes, Hoopers is one of two self contained apartments at Tremellyn on St Marys on the Isles of Scilly. Situated between the main town of Hugh towns, and Old town. Just a five minute walk from the harbour and shops, and 2 minutes from stunning coasta
A ground Floor 1 bedroom flat. Situated in the heart of Hugh Town on the level walking distance from the harbor, shops and local amenities. With a newly renovated kitchen, diner and lounge, this spacious apartment has an en-suite twin bedded room with french doors from